Pages

Thursday 5 September 2019

Similes and Metaphor

Similes and Metaphor

Copy these sentences onto your blog and highlight the simile in each:

My bedroom was as black as a cave in the depths of the earth.

The classroom after school became as noisy as a gaggle of gabby geese.

The cat capered along the fence top like a tightrope walker on the hire wire.
My anger crashed into me like waves against the shore.





Use a word from the box to complete each simile


The cloth was as black as coal 


The wet ball was as slippery as an eel 


My little sister is as playful as a kitten 


The top of this table is as smooth as silk 


I’ve been as busy as a bee 


The lamb is as white as snow

Silk 

Bee
Kitten
Coal
Eel
Snow




For each of these sentences is it a simile or a metaphor?

  1. As slippery as an eel.-simile
  2. Arnie was a man-mountain.-metaphor
  3. He was a lion in battle.-metaphor
  4. She is as pretty as a picture.-simile
  5. The striker was a goal machine. -metaphor
  6. The torch lit up the room as if the sun had already risen early.-simile
  7. The moon was a misty shadow.-metaphor
  8. My friend has a face like thunder. -metaphor

Writing my own:

The wind blew as loud as thunder.
The sky was as dull as a teacher speaking in a monotonous voice.
Her voice was as loud as thunder.
She cried like a river.
He is a lion ready to eat his prey.
Her hair was a piece of velvet fabric.
His eyes were twinkling the stars in the night sky 

What am I learning?

I am learning to identify similes and metaphors.

How does this work show my learning?
This shows that I can tell the difference between the two.

What am I wondering?
Does most professional author still use this method?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.